Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

The construction next door forced me from my house!

This morning I was rudely torn from my dream ( dramatic much? LOL) by a group of young men in black hoodies! Nope not marauding criminals but BUILDERS!! First they're 'chatting' with each other outside my window and then the concrete grinder/skill saw starts. I was moved to google 'construction laws in residential areas' but sadly they where within them. So in a somewhat less than perky mood I went into the city to get my Library books and generally just ... not be at home listening to machinery.






'Have a nice day' is from cafe 'Federal and Wolfe'. I've heard about the place on random web sites ect and all to rave reviews. I don't know if it was the builders fault ( ie I just wasn't in the mood) but I wasn't blown away. Must also admit I didn't sample the menu just having a coffee and banana bread while I read some of my hilarious book. I found both to be good but not exceptional. The service again was fine but if anything slightly dismissive. Perhaps I'm not the customer they're after?? I don't know. Wouldn't want to project. It was  trying a little hard and not really getting there for my taste but then all the willing punters cant be wrong. It's obviously to some peoples taste. Perhaps on another day when I can stop for lunch or something.....

The Crown has become one of my fave places in downtown. I've actually only been twice but it's a really good place to go for a civilised and not pretentious glass of wine or beer after uni. Occasionally I get off my first bus and just feel like having a drink before I get on the second one to go home. The Crown is all warm and cozy inside with plenty of tables. It's the perfect mix of people and doesn't make a song and dance about how 'cool' it is. I think that being slightly out of the Britomart precinct is maybe a good thing. It's hard to find a place that I can head to alone and feel comfortable but this is it for sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment