Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

University holiday week one :)


I returned last night from a week away. It was spent between my sisters home and my mothers and I have to say it was sooooooo relaxing and low key but I really had a good time. While at my sisters I spent the time hanging out with my nephew, getting to know him a little because I don't get to see him very often and when I was at my Mums it was about teaching. I got to go to her school and spend some time with her class. Whodathunk that teaching hyperbole to 12 year old boys could actually be fun? well I will admit that the class is unique but they were lovely and really good to me. I LOVED my time there.

I left Auckland on Saturday morning and WOW it was a lovely day. I always realise how much I love this city when I'm in town early on the weekend and if it happens to be a gorgeous day well I'm sunk :)


The bus ride to Hamilton was amazing. The beautiful weather just highlighted how lovely my country is. Everywhere was so green and peaceful and picturesque. My old dream started to come alive but then I reminded myself exactly how much I would suck at being a farmers wife and came back to reality hahahahah


Our first stop was the bumps n babes show at the event center. As far as a review of the show goes I am really not your girl. I am not at all into babies and the baby paraphernalia bored me so fast. I will say that as far as my experience and learning about children and development and parenting goes I did find it all a little frustrating. It seems like being a new or expecting mother/parent is such a hard and scary time that to have so much ideology and one sided information thrust down your throat must make it really hard to figure out what works for you and how you want to bring your child into the world and how you want to raise them.  From an outsiders perspective it seems like this sort of event and all of these exhibitors with such agendas are  anti mother/parent  and contribute heavily to things like post natal depression and the overall terror that comes with the sudden burden of full control of a human life.  But maybe that's just me and I have no kids so what do I know. Anyhow the photo above is of the baby racing.... HILARIOUS!! best part of the show :)

That night we went to the Hamilton Night Markets. SO COOL. It was really awesome. I would say that Hamilton kick Auckland's butt in this respect. Seriously it was a busy and well managed evening. The markets were probably about 70% food stalls with a bit of craft and a bit of veges and a few psychics thrown in for good measure. The thing that really impressed me was the variety and the fact that the prices were so good. You could get a $1 lamb skewer at one stall then wander along to the next for a $2.50 pork bun and finish with a $2 pancake. AWESOME. We had a beautiful evening and it was sublime to stand outside under the stars and inhale the smell of the wood fires for the Hangi and Jerk Chicken and smoked fish. Ahhhhh it was such a worthwhile reason to leave the house and if you're ever in Hamilton on a Saturday evening with nothing to do you should definitely hit up the night markets!!

My sister and I (and my nephew in the front pack) - AND  THE PORK BUN!! MMM

After that i went to spend a few days with my Mum and her kids. A great experience practicing my running records and teaching the senior students about hyperbole and making them write poetry! HAHAHAHA they loved it (kinda LOL) and wow did they come up with some great poems. One of the students was extremely gifted and it was so interesting to chat with him. I would love the challenge of teaching someone like him even though I would say he's smarter than me. It was kind of funny when I asked him what he wanted to do in the future and he instantly replied 'Hairdresser'..... really?? LOL. I mean I am quite aware of how technical that job is and how hard but it was such a strange choice for someone who potentially has the world at their feet :)

After school time it was back to Hamilton for a couple more days. We didn't do much as we are all very poor and with a 6 month old and all. Still it was lovely with lots of coffee and walking around the awesome Hamilton Gardens and attempting but failing due to the weather to get around their lake. I will take a second to say that I will give a huge FAIL grade to the cafe at the Hamilton Lake. They are extremely over priced and glacial with their service. Their food is edible but crazy average and the cafe is uncomfortable and hard to navigate, especially with a stroller. I will honestly never spend money there again. AWFUL place.

The last thing of note is kinda boring but highlighted something to me. I chose a couple of DVDs for my last night. Firstly "the silver linings playbook" and secondly "The perks of being a wall flower". I had read both of these books a wile ago and while I really enjoyed the wallflower movie I was very disappointed with The silver linings playbook. It just goes to show how people can be either book people OR movie people. I am a book person and there are very few times that a movie has bettered or even equaled the book. I would argue that The Perks of being a wall flower worked as a movie because the author controlled the script etc. I have grave fears for The Fault In Our Stars movie. John Green you should keep your hand in there!

So now for two more weeks of holiday!! WOOT WOOT.

I have a few plans but basically it's wide open. I hope to get to the art gallery for their new exhibit, to the movies for monsters university and before midnight, if I ever decide what I want I will get a hair cut and I also want to go to the Rekorderling Cider pop up bar :) add in a ton of reading and relaxing on the beautiful minke blanket my mum got for me AND a touch of yoga and I should be heading into semester two ready to roll.

Those Red Vines were a further entry into my list of awful American food to try. Have to say they are the most revolting thing that has EVER been in my mouth. OMG so gross. I had to force myself not to spit it out. EEWWWWWWWWW -even worse than peeps!




No comments:

Post a Comment