Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Someday Someday Maybe


After my Gilmore Girls mini marathon on Saturday I was excited to dive into Lauren Grahams debut novel. It didn't disappoint in the slightest. I really really enjoyed this and all the more so because the personality and voice of the author really comes through and as I was reading it I was imagining her narrating. It was very cool for the fan-girl in me :-)

The story of a young college grad trying to become an actress in New York isn't particularly original in itself but I like this take on a character that feels like she's almost there... like her break is so close you can feel it, even if pretty much for the duration of the story she has set back after set back and nothing really good happens. As a reader you get the impression that Frannie is beautiful and talented but not really aware of it and that she is somehow lacking in the  self promotion and cut throat gene department. She doesn't really seem 'hard' enough to make it.

As much as I enjoyed the story the only thing I would have liked to see is a little more grit. It's all very wholesome and clean and easy. A bit of .. 'something' might have jazzed it up a bit. Perhaps an actual sex scene instead of simply alluding to the fact. A little more attention to the grungy nature of her surroundings instead of throwing a line here and there about how it's 'dangerous out there'.  A little struggle would certainly have made it more authentic. I would almost say that the lack of this sort of content would make this an ideal transition book between the YA section of the Library and the Adult section.

Also, and this deserves its own paragraph, DAN.  I love that character and if you're going to write this kind of book why not go all in and give the readers the complete ending that they're after. Just sayin....

I could see this as a movie. Frannie is Ashley Benson or Jordin Sparks or Hilary Duff.  Maybe Anna Kendrick for her best friend ... or Rebel Wilson or Khloe Kardashian. Hmmm lets see... Dan Radcliffe or Harry Shum or perhaps Adam Brody as Dan?  FUN. I should so be a casting person. LOL

I must put in a quick note about this beautiful cover! LOVE IT. It's so pretty and sets the tone really well for the story. The hard, grey bridge and the hopeful girl in the bright jacket with her arms outstretched taking it all in... LOVELY - and she gets a cover note from some pretty awesome people! (I'm talking about you Meg Cabot..)

Keeping in mind that this is a debut I will give it 4/5! It's not perfect BUT it is a really enjoyable read that gives you what you want it to. I cant wait for the next book from the author and I know that they will only get better and better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment