Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

I is for Inukshuk

Google Images

This ladies and gents is an Inukshuk. They are a symbol that I saw over and over when I was in Canada and I liked them so much I got one inked on my hip :) They were traditionally used by the First Nations hunters to indicate the presence of buffalo. They mean welcome and leadership and friendship. As with many cultural symbols that have been appropriated into mainstream usage the meaning has evolved and you can find any number of different definitions. I saw them outside coffee houses, on mountain tops, in peoples gardens and everywhere in between. To me they represent not only all of those things but also the best year (so far) of my life. I think I probably need to start a collection of them but for that I will need to return to Canada I guess... bummer! LOL :-P

xo

1 comment:

  1. I'd never heard of it before, and I love the meaning of the word. I hope you have many more years that are as wonderful as that one was.
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete