Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for buying books


Displaying 2014-04-02 07.28.09.jpg

This past week I was staying with my mum in Thames. She was awesome and decided to buy my sister (who was also staying) and I a book each. What she didn't know was that this lovely gesture is really stressful. Books are so incredibly expensive that I've come to the point where the only time I want to own a book is when I really think that I will read it over and over again. I like to not own too much 'stuff' but I do like a good bookshelf....within limits. Generally I'm all about the Library. GO TO YOUR LIBRARY PEOPLE!!!!

Carson's is a beautiful store in Thames. They have an amazing selection of great books. It's so unusual to actually find a store that is about books and not stationary+toys+lotto tickets+music++++++.  The focus really brings that quality. I told the manager of the store I wanted to move in!

We had to go back twice and I think I must have picked up 50 books before I ended up with 'The knife of never letting go'... THE STRESSSSSSSSS I wanted to make sure I got something good and didn't waste my mothers money. When you read as much as I do and with such an A.D.D palate this is quite a hard ask. I've seen this book gushed over on book-tube a lot and the premise sounds pretty great so I went for it. 

Yes. This is my life that A - I can pack up and head out of town at a moments notice to hang at the beach with my mum and B- this amazing luxury stresses me out! LOL. This is the definition of a First World Problem hahahahahaha

xo

8 comments:

  1. A trip to the book store is an exciting event. I can understand your desire to choose a good book. How do you choose your book? Some people focus on the cover, book blurb, first page, reviews, all or none of these mentioned. How did you finally make your decision?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time it's a bit of instinct. I really try to only purchase what I think I will re-read over and over so that means I'm often purchasing things I've read from the Library. In this instance I chose this book because many of the people I follow and whose opinions I trust on you tube have recommended it. Of course I also like the premise so decided to go for it.

      Delete
  2. I am completely a book person but I get so emotionally attached to my books which is why I usually buy them. Although I recently starting using a kindle but I still miss the feel of books... No one likes to go to book stores with me because I'm usually in there for a good hour or so but I'm glad not alone in that feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love book shopping! I used to spend close to half of what I earned on books (which drove my mom crazy). Today, I have much more control (I think)... I only buy the books I can't borrow from friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the Library...LOL. I couldnt resist I LOVE Libraries and am always pushing them on people. What are the Libraries like in the Philippines?

      Delete
  4. My aunt does this to me when I see her and and I feel the same way. On the one hand, I love it, on the other I know I'll finish the book within a few days and if it's not one I'll read over and over, I'll feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a catch 22 situation isn't it. Someone is giving you a really cool gift but there is so.much.pressure!!! I think unless you're really a reader you just don't understand! .... or perhaps unless you're a reader without the resources to purchase and house all the books you want :)

      Delete
  5. love the libraries in nz! i can easily get lost for hours in them! so great that we're still investing in them and not as in a lot of other countries shutting them down!

    ReplyDelete